Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Phases

Hippies, Parachute pants, Mullets, New Kids On The Block, slap bracelets....

The phenomenon of humans known as phases. We all go through them. Some of my personal phases have included Barbies, Power Rangers, Dyed hair, thick make-up, Justing Timberlake and partying.

We all go through them. Some last for years and some for only days or weeks. The things is, they are grown out of. At some point in time we decide, whether consciously or subconsciously, that whatever it is is no longer a part of us. We no longer take part in that thing that we were so wrapped up in.

Some phases are good for us. They produce growth and maturity and help sculpt the person that we are. Other phases don't really seem to contribute much other that "what was I thinking."

Christ, however, is not a phase. God's love is not a phase. My love for Christ is not a phase. I will never get over it, I will not need to get over it because He will never not love me. My relationship with God has become my lifestyle. It has become who I am and what defines me. Other things have come and gone and will continue to come and go, but the love that I get from my God is with me forever. Whether I feel it or not, it's there. That's a truth I can hold on to when I don't feel like being good, when it seems my sin nature just wants to take over, when it really doesn't look like God's anywhere around me. I can remember that He's not a phase and He isn't going to pass.

No comments: