Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Just Overwhelmed

My heart has been burdened. Need has gripped my soul and it's not letting go anytime soon.

In just the past week I have come across just how real poverty, slavery, hunger and other unfortunate circumstances are. Proverbs 31:8-9 says "Speak up for the people who have no voice, for the rights of all the down-and-outers. Speak out for justice! Stand up for the poor and destitute!" (MSG). It's something I cannot ignore and it's something that is not just going to go away. It can be hard to think of these people as actual people like you and me because they are worlds away and often only images we've seen on television. But they are real people with real needs.

As cliche as it may be I wish I had the resources to help them all but that is just not possible. I do what I can and I think maybe that's where some people miss out. I know a lot of people stay on the sidelines because they just don't think they are capable. God asks us to do what we can with what He's given us. He is able to do the biggest thing with our smallest service. In America, 5-10 dollars doesn't really seem like it can help out that much, but when we give that to organizations in lesser fortunate countries, it can provide weeks worth of food, school, clothing, or anything else that is needed.

God is challenging me to get more involved in extending His love to those who are in difficult situations. Not only across the world, but next door as well. He is showing me that there are so many different ways to make a difference in the smallest forms, opportunities for Him to change the faces of need.

No comments: