Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Amazing Grace

So apparently I'm in to doing movie reviews! The DVD express machine at Bi-Lo has become a close friend of mine and if you haven't discovered it yet, check it out. $1.49 for one night rentals of new releases and other great movies! Blockbuster better watch it!

The latest movie that I rented was "Amazing Grace." It's the story of William Wilberforce's determination to pass a bill in the House of Commons in Great Britain that would abolish the slave trade. All based on the true story. Wilberforce's minister was John Newton, the writer of the hymn "Amazing Grace." Newton also joined forces with Wilberforce to promote his cause.

I'm a huge history nerd. I don't consider myself a buff because I can't always retain and recall what I learn, but I love learning and seeing history, so this movie was right up my alley. It's set in the late 18th and early 19th century Britain.

I wouldn't say this one is as much of a tear jerker like The Ultimate Gift was, but it's certainly inspirational and a great story of determination and victory for the greater good. I think I was speaking with a british accent for a while after watching it as well!

No comments: