Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Just some thoughts (pt. 2)

I wanted to expand on what I wrote yesterday about things of this world. This could just be me but I felt I didn't come full circle with my discussion, so I'm taking the time to do that now.

I touched a bit on the entertainment that is available to us such as television, movies and music. None of those things are bad in and of themselves. It's ok to have a favorite TV show, I'm a huge fan of The Office and watch it every week when I can. It's ok to go see movies, I watched a great one last night (which I'll write about later) and do watch movies on a regular basis. It's ok to enjoy music, it's a big part of my life, both Christian and secular music. My argument is when we use these things to define us, to get other people to think well of us because of what we surround ourselves with. When these things become all we are, that's when it becomes a problem.

As mentioned before teenagers are not the only ones that struggle with these issues. As I start entering the "adult" world more and more I see that adults perhaps use things such as dress, money, possessions, etc. to gain a good reputation but are just better at covering up that that is what they are doing.

Anyways I think I'm starting to ramble a bit so I'll attempt to wrap this up. Basically when we look to other people to redeem us and tell us we're worth something, we're not truly living. Donald Miller addresses this in his book Searching for God Knows What. All too often we find ourselves searching for affirmation in humans when God is the one that defines us and gives us our worth. And we are all very worthy of love to Him. Maybe if we begin to shift our thought process to this, life would look a bit different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you would really enjoy the new book Brown Like Coffee at brownlikecoffee.com