Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire



This book has lit a fire under my prayer life over the past week. I needed it, my prayer life has been, well, dull. I forget just how important prayer is and how powerful it can be.

The author of Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire is the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle, Jim Cymbala. He tells the story of how the church went from a struggling 20 member congregation to the 10,000 strong it is today. Their biggest contributor to the growth? Prayer.

Some of the things that have occurred in this church's life could have only been acts of God through the faithful prayer of His people. It has inspired me to see great things happen in my lifetime if I would just get on my knees and spend more time praying.

Cymbala also emphasizes the need for simplicity. He points out how far we have strayed from the simple approaches of the first church in Acts. They just preached the gospel and people responded - in the thousands at that. That doesn't go to say that we should not be going deeper with the gospel and all that God is, but when we begin talking about things that aren't made clear in the Bible we run the risk of false teaching. Cymbala states that where the Bible is silent, we should be silent as well.

This book has given me a new motivation and already moved me to go deeper with Christ, both in prayer and in action.

No comments: