Friday, December 28, 2007

Smart

"Smart" by Shel Silverstein

My dad gave me one dollar bill
'Cause I'm his smartest son,
And I swapped it for two shiny quarters
'Cause two is more than one!

and then I took the quarters
And traded them to Lou
For three dimes - I guess he didn't know
That three is more than two!

Just then, along came old blind Bates
And just 'cause he can't see
He gave me four nickels for my three dimes,
and four is more than three!

And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs
Down at the seed-feed store,
And the fool gave me five pennies for them,
And five is more than four!

and then I went and showed my dad,
And he got red in the cheeks
And closed his eyes and shook his head-
Too proud of me to speak!

I was prompted to read this poem randomly. I had read it before but it's been a while and I needed to be refreshed. The author that prompted me to read it said it compares to our relationship with God. I didn't go on to ready why before I read the poem but once I read it knew where he was headed.

God desires for His people to have the very best when we seek Him with everything. He gives the very best because He is the ultimate creator.

The boy took a one dollar bill that his dad gave him and traded it for two quarters because, in his eyes, two are more than one. It continues until he has traded four nickels for five pennies. The boy didn't recognize the worth of the dollar but the quantity of the physical appearance. How well is that related to our relationship with God!

He gives us gifts out of His best that are worth so much but sometimes we dont' see that and "trade it" or go looking for something that is more pleasing to our eye. All along lessenign the worth and value and coming up short handed. That's what happens when we do things on our own - we come up short handed and trade in or miss out on the valuable figts He has for our lives.

I don't want to miss out on account of not trusting the worth of something.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

No comments: